Monday, March 29, 2010

Bratwurst with Caramelized Onions and Beer

Spring is here! WARM WEATHER! BLUE SKIES!

The joy of escaping from the grey skies and freezing rain is inexplicable. 

I stopped by market as soon as I was free from class and picked up an onion and some brats. 

I don't have a grill but, making them on the stove turned out decently and brought the taste of summer into my apartment just as I had hoped it would.

Plus, the simmering smell of meat, onions, and beer was absolutely mouth watering. 

Bratwurst with Caramelized Onions and Beer
-1 pckg Bratwurst
-1 small onion (white or red) - sliced
-3 tablespoons butter
-A few pinches sugar
-1 bottle beer (I used Molson Canadian- it was deliciousssss)

In a deep pan, melt the butter and brown your onion pieces. Add the sugar, continue to caramelize some and then pour in the beer. Add your bratwurst, put lid on pan and let everything boil and simmer together for 30 minutes or so. Just until everything is cooked through. Check occasionally, rotating sides. If you have a grill, take your brats off when they are cooked but still soft (not browned). If you don't, keep them in the pan until the beer is all but evaporated and all your sides on each brat are browned. 

Serve on a bun if you have them! As the picture implies, I didn't but, I did have toast and once i cut up 2 brats and laid them out, it became a deliciously messy sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment