Monday, March 29, 2010

Corned Beef and Cabbage...Pasta

With my lovely left over corned beef and cabbage from St. Patrick's day, I decided to make some yummy corned beef and cabbage pasta.

Yep. Again, welcome to college. 

The pro of college here would be that I try my darndest not to throw out any food if I can help it. Sure, it backfires sometimes, for example, when I made this dish and it yielded more pasta then I could manage as a single body in a week and had to toss it eventually. BUT! Whenever possible, my broke self tries to make the most out of my ingredients handy and comes up with new creations.

Here is one such creation. The recipe is pretty basic and the "sauce" is my family's world famous (or at least famous within the Midwest/branches of the family) corned beef sauce. If you don't feel like the pasta dish, make your corned beef and just top it with this divine sauce.

Corned beef and this horseradish sauce are the perfect pairing :)

Corned Beef Sauce:

-1 envelope chicken gravy mix

-2 tbls prepared horseradish

-Measure 1 ½ cups cooking liquid (water/gravy)

Put cooking liquid-- (by using leftovers, I didn't have any gravy so it was all water but, it turned out just as well)-- in small sauce pan on stove. Stir in mix, stir until dissolved. Stir in horseradish. Bring to boil. Simmer back down and serve.

To make the leftover Pasta:

Dice up your corned beef and cabbage left overs until bite size. Cook a package of egg noodles according to directions. Mix all together in a large bowl, top with sauce.

Seriously worth trying. Delicious spin on tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment