Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Luscious Lemon Squares

My mom makes the absolute best lemon squares.

This was my third time making them on my own and, even though my crust is flakey, buttery, and crisped to perfect. And even though the dessert in total sweet yet kissed with lemon flavor, holding that lovely square shape and texture one finds in a lemon square and treasures like a summer memory...

Hers are still better.

It's so frustrating! I make them exactly the same! Or at least, I try to and think I do. But, no. Mom's got that Super Power. The "I know how many times to stir this, correctly pour this, and add my secret mom flavor of love and mom-ness that makes it comforting and superior to anything you can create".

Or maybe not. Maybe I find mine inferior because I have to wash the dishes that produces them.

In any case! Here is the recipe for the worlds best lemon squares. You won't be overpowered by lemon, and you will be completely satisfied with the layering of flavors that meld together.

Make them and see for yourself. Or have your mom do it ;)

Lemon Squares
-3/4 cup butter (no salt)
-1/3 cup confectioners sugar
-1 & 1/2 cup flour

Cream butter and sugar. Add the flour slowly and cut like pie dough with fork. Press into the bottom of a greased 9 by 13 pan. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

-3 eggs
-1 & 1/2 cup sugar
-1 tablespoon flour
-3 tablespoons lemon juice

Beat eggs, add the sugar, then flour, then juice. Once all mixed, pour over the hot crust and bake for another 20 minutes. Cool COMPLETELY in fridge. Top with a generous amount of powdered sugar once cooled.

No comments:

Post a Comment