Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Super Bowl Chili & Cornbread



Seeing as our super bowl party ran pretty late last night, I am more then scrambling to get this posted today. 

Whoops! 

Anyway, the Super Bowl is a time for chili and corn bread with my family. We raise buffalo too so, we always make it a point to serve up buffalo chili. Always a fantastic, yearly treat. It is a ritual I was not inclined to miss just because I now live 14 hours away. My roommate and I had a bunch of people over and made a BUNCH of food. The center of which were the chili and cornbread casserole. I also made spinach corn muffins, which are always a smash, but I wanted to make some of the yummy, spoon served, corn casserole as well. 

If we're going to have buttery, delicious carbs, we are going to do it right. I also made some appetizers, including my family's infamous sausage appetizers and my roomie's favorite cheesey spreads

While the chili was the star of the show, it was almost entirely out done by my desserts. Which I will have to post later in order to do them proper justice. However, as a preview for the post that I will add later this week, here are some pics of the dessert tables and two of my favorites. The theme for the the desserts was "Super BOWL", and they therefore all have cereal as a main ingredient. Can't wait to share! Enjoy the chili and cornbread recipe in the mean time!!




More pics and recipes to follow! Happy Super Bowl, all :)





Bison Chili:
-          2 teaspoons butter or margarine
-          3 lbs bison. My fam makes 1 ½ lbs ground bison, 1 ½ lbs diced chuck, cut into ½ inch pieces
-          1 lg onion, diced
-          1 lg green pepper, diced
-          1 garlic clove, crushed
-          5 tbls chili powder
-          2 bay leaves
-          2 tsp each oregano and sugar
-          1 tsp each cumin and salt
-          ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
-          1 can (14 ½ or 16 oz) stewed tomatoes
-          1 can (13 or 14 oz) beef broth
-          1 can (16 oz) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
-          1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
-          1 cup water
-          1 tbls cornmeal

In dutch oven, melt butter or margarine over high heat. Add meat and brown. Drain excess fat. Stir in onion, green pepper, and garlic; sauté until brown. Drain excess fat. Stir in onion, pepper, and garlic until veggies are softened, approx 4 mins. Stir in spices, cook about 2 mins. Add remaining ingredients, bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour. Simmer uncovered 1 to 1 ½ hours more. Discard garlic and bay leaves.


Chili is one of those recipes that always seems to be different every time you make it. This recipe is the best and, I always try to stick to it as much as possible. Making it for the Super Bowl this year was a train wreck on my part when I put in too much chili powder by mistake and then was desperately trying to cut the spice level down to manageable amounts with whatever I had on hand. Everything but the kitchen sink ended up in this batch, ha. Everyone seemed to love it, even adoring the extra spice! But, if you want a good recipe to start with as a base for your experiments in chili making- this should be it.


Serve with sour cream, cheese, noodles, ect. Or with corn bread casserole! See below.



Corn Bread Casserole:
-          1 box jiffy cornbread mix
-          1 egg
-          ½ stick butter/marg, softened
-          1 can cream corn
-          1 can regular corn, drained
-          8 oz sour cream

Combine all ingredients and pour into a 2 qt casserole dish. I even mix mine in the dish more often then not to save a dirty dish. Bake at 350 for 50 mins. Serve by the warm, delicious, gooey spoonful :)

6 comments:

  1. Your chili looks so delicious! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. :)

    Amy
    http://utry.it

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't beat chili and cornbread - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum chili! LOVE that little heart dish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never had bison chili before! I did have regular chili on Superbowl Sunday, but we were missing corn bread. Love the heart bowl you served your casserole in :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. yum! looks amazing- perfect for a cool evening!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for Super Bowl Chili! Yum!

    Last time I made Chili I used cute little white bowls just like that!

    ReplyDelete