Friday, December 9, 2011

Roast Chicken: My Most Request Recipe, My Easiest Recipe, and My Favorite DC Dinners


Roast chicken is probably the easiest thing in the world to make. 



Seriously. It's so simple, it almost embarrasses me that people are so impressed with my roast chicken. It's not impressive. It's chicken.

The best chicken you'll ever eat, and I am being 100% honest there. But still, just chicken.


I came across this article online that was talking about how America is taught we are too stupid to cook. Which, hey, true. We are taught that. Even I- clutz in the kitchen- can cook. And it's just because I try. I never thought I could growing up because I was pretty much told I couldn't by marketing of food companies wanting to promote mixes, meals made fast, faster, fastest, and microwavable dinners.

Don't get me wrong, I love love love a good short cut/cake mix/simple fix. But some of these things are discounting the real simplicity of recipes. Like roast chicken. Recipe below.

This is taken as an excerpt from the very interesting article found here:
"The World’s Most Difficult Roasted Chicken Recipe
Turn your oven on high (450 if you have ventilation, 425 if not).  Coat a 3- or 4-pound chicken with coarse kosher salt so that you have an appealing crust of salt (a tablespoon or so).  Put the chicken in a pan, stick a lemon or some onion or any fruit or vegetable you have on hand into the cavity.  Put the chickn in the oven.  Go away for an hour.  Watch some TV, play with the kids, read, have a cocktail, have sex.  When an hour has passed, take the chicken out of the oven and put it on the stove top or on a trivet for 15 more minutes.  Finito.
(But be careful, you might find this so boring that you’ll start thinking about making stock next.  Don’t. Too hard.  Takes too long.  You’ll have to clean the pot.  I’m telling you now.  Don’t risk it.  Consider yourself warned.  Don’t blame me if you wind up with something delicious on your hands.)"
Ha, and that's all there really is to it! I always use a lemon because I am a sucker for lemon chicken. I also always ALWAYS poke holes all over the surface of said lemon/fruit/garlic. That way, the juices steam out and seep into the bird. Yum. If the chicken is big enough, I do combinations like that, lemon and garlic, lemon and lime, lemon and apple, lemon and onion, etc. Usually though, I'll just do one lemon or two if I am working with a big bird. 
Just envisioned working with Big Bird. Totally not what I meant.
I coat my chickens with just the salt I have (not necessarily sea salt) and then I go a step further and always smother the SOB in spices. SMOTHER. I love seasoned chicken and spices add kick, flavor, and a crust. Yum. My favorite combinations: Rosemary Infused Salt/Lemon Herb and Oregano; Lemon Infused Salt/Cajun Seasonings; Salt/ Lemon Herb & Cajun Seasonings; Salt/ Lemon Herb, Packet of Italian Dressing Mix; Rosemary Infused Salt/ Oregano, Basil, Thyme, and Rosemary. 
I also always squeeze the roasted lemon so the juices pour all over my chicken once it's done resting for 15 minutes. Guh, it's life changing. 
Make this chicken. It's spectacular, simple, and pretty healthful. Your family and friends will be amazed and you alone will know how easy it was :)


1 comment:

  1. "Either that's not the picture that goes with the recipe she included.. or it's not as tasty as it looks." -you know what? Bet I'm wrong. I bet you're right. Still, I can't believe something that looks THAT delicious could be that simple. I'm adding this to my week's menu! Thanks SO much. Gosh, sure do love the internet.. the things you can find! :D

    ReplyDelete